After another trip to L.A., and a few months of work we had developed a strong opening to the film, which we debuted at the University of Chicago in May of 2012. By the end of 2012 we had come up with a potential ending for the film, and it felt like we were making significant progress. However, that feeling would not last long. It turned out that creating a compelling narrative was a lot more complicated than we could have imagined. We kicked around many different ways of telling the story and even started a podcast to help us work through our ideas, but nothing seemed to work. We were stuck…
A lucky break
I finished the book in three days and immediately sent it to John, it was exactly what needed. The Story Grid laid out all of the structural elements that make up stories and explained the important role that genre plays in crafting a narrative. Over the following two years, John and I studied material and applied the principles to our film. By the spring of 2017, the story had finally become clear to us, and he had used it to developed a detailed outline for our film.
Currently, we are editing and working towards creating a rough cut, which we will use to pitch studios on helping us complete the movie. While we do not yet have a release date for the film, we are sending out regular updates to our email list. Working on this project has been both incredibly changing and extremely rewarding. I have learned so much about video production, story telling, and the creative process. I cannot wait until I can share everything we have been working on for so long.